Monday 29 August 2011

lois chiles (via robert redford)

This summer I hunkered down with the brilliant biography of Robert Redford (www.amazon.com). He strikes me as a man who has rarely compromised, and has lived such a life of authenticity... not to mention singlehandedly inventing independent cinema in the US. While such traits may have made him a difficult husband and father the story of his career is utterly inspiring. I am now revisiting all of his old movies, starting with Gatsby (why not!) and of course one of my (everyone's?) all-time faves "The Way We Were".... was there ever a more beautiful human being than Hubble Gardner? Even the opening lines of Hubble's short story, "In a way he was like the country he lived in, everything came too easily to him. But at least he knew it." Magic.





The point is though that I've been reminded how much I adore Lois Chiles..... was she the first to perfect the art of "under-acting"? So utterly luminous as both Jordan Baker in Gatsby and college sweetheart Carol Ann in TWWWere, I'm not sure why she didn't reach more lofty acting heights. Interestingly she dated Don Henley for years... another fave of mine... and as a footnote I did name one of my four girls "Lois". This gorgeous, grainy pic from fanpix.net







No comments:

Post a Comment